Important Update: Updated and accurate as of 14.05.20
All details are accurate at the time of publishing, but please continue to check back for the latest update.
What reopening could look like
Since closure, we have been working alongside the entire fitness sector, facilitated by the brilliant UK Active (our representative body) to establish plans for the safe reopening of the fitness industry in the UK.
UK Active has now released our co-created operational framework for reopening as recommended to government. View the full framework here.
Measures agreed include:
- Social distancing in place, including poolside
- Equipment that can be used will be 2m apart
- Maximum gym capacity of 3m squared per person
- Towels/sweat towels will not be taken onto the gym floor/into the studio
- Rigorous cleaning procedures in place
- At least 10 minutes between classes to enable cleaning and reduce the risk of groups forming
- Cafés, restaurants and bars will re-open when Government restrictions allow and will operate under any guidelines issued
- Measures to encourage better distancing in the changing area
- Personal training sessions can continue with social distancing
What will my visit to Total Fitness be like?
We have huge clubs. In fact, the average size of a Total Fitness club is 73,000 square feet. This means that we are one of the best-equipped gyms to incorporate social distancing measures. Due to our sheer size, if we apportioned 3m squared per member, we would still not reach 40% capacity during peak hours (and this excludes our non-fitness space).
On top of the measures recommended in the UK Active framework, we have committed to the below additional measures to ensure the safety of our members:
- Keeping squash courts and heat treatments closed for the time being as social distancing measures are tougher to retain in these areas
- Redeployment of our team members to better support members and ensure additional cleaning
- A meticulous cleaning procedure
- An initial 50% capacity limit for group exercise classes – still plenty of spots due to the size of our studios, but committing to extra distancing as best we can
- A revised group exercise class timetable to ensure social distancing measures can be adhered to
- Greater than 10 mins between group exercise classes to enable cleaning and reduce the risk of groups forming
- Staggered start/finish times for group exercise classes in different studios to reduce the risk of congestion in the changing rooms
- Additional measures from our swim and product partners to ensure minimal congestion in the changing and poolside/fitness areas
- Using card/contactless payments only in the club
- The introduction of contact-free entry using your membership fob
We want to make sure you feel safe, comfortable and supported on your return, ready to enjoy a varied and effective workout. We will continue to be guided by the government advice and the UK Active framework and will take their lead on when it is safe to reopen, but rest assured we ready to open as soon as it's possible.
Here is a reminder about what’s happened to your membership since the closure period on 21st March:
- While your club is closed we’ll automatically freeze your membership for you if you haven’t already done so. No membership fees will be collected during the closure. If you’ve paid for your membership in a lump sum the same applies to you too and we’ll add the time for which we’re closed to the end of your membership subscription
- In terms of your remaining March subscription, we’ll find a way to return this to you and will let you know more as soon as we are back
- Please keep in touch with us and enjoy the home workouts we’ve created to help keep you moving, until we can meet again in club. These can be found in the ‘Workout Hub’ in the Members Area online or via the app
Thanks for making exercise a part of your life - physical and mental resilience has never been more important. It’s been brilliant for us to be able to serve you so far, and we hope we can do so again really soon.
Team Total Fitness
For media enquiries, please contact our PR company direct:
PR Agency One
0161 871 9140